9/08/2006

Fall Workshops

Look out Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin! I'm setting out on Sunday for two weeks of teen services workshops. I'm looking forward to meeting hundreds of new librarians, hearing about their experiences, and spreading the word about teen participation, space planning and design, "alternative" collections, technology, customer service and marketing. I'm even going to meet a few of the people behind two wonderful teen spaces:

  • Julia Jorgensen, the Librarian at Cape Central High School (MO). This school is officially my favorite high school to date. Julia and the Cape Central administrators do fabulous things at their HS library. Active teen participation is their key ingredient! Julia says, “It’s about what the students want, not about what a middle-aged librarian wants.” Mike Cowan, Principal of Cape Central frequently hosts alumni tours of their campus. He beams with pride as his guests enter the student-designed, student-friendly facility declaring, “My friends, this is not your father’s library.”

  • Peg Burington, Assistant Director/Young Adult Coordinator, Waupaca Area Public Library (WI). In 2002, Peg brought together a group of students that eventually became the Student Library Advisory Group, SLAG. This group was essential in creating The New Improved Best Cellar, a 1400 sq. ft. teen area, launched in March 2006. The first Best Cellar came to life in 1998.

Stop back to hear more about my adventures.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Hi Kim! I heard you in Madison and came home with some great ideas. One thing mentioned was that Hasbro will donate games if you hold a Monopoly marathon. I have been unable to find more info on this program (checked hasbro.org, etc.) Is it possible this program was discontinued? Ruth, Oshkosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth. Thanks for the kind words. I emailed the librarian who told me about this program. I'm waiting to hear back from her. She just received the games a few weeks ago, so I don't believe the program would be discountinued all ready. We'll see. I will post to the blog when I get the scoop. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete

Kim Bolan, MLS, Bolsters Ratio's National Library Design Expertise

Rob and I are excited to announce that Jessica Edwards and I have joined Ratio Architects where we will continue to focus on planning a...